QuickBooks is widely used for accounting tasks by small, medium, and big enterprises. The software has made accounting jobs seamless for millions of people. But it sure has its share of errors that often interrupts the workflow of its users. Often, QuickBooks won’t open, and it prevents users from accessing the company file. When this happens, you can experience repeated crashes when operating the software. This problem can be due to the very large company name, improper installation of QuickBooks desktop, and corrupt hard disk. Other reasons like an obsolete operating system and damaged QBWUSER.INI file can also prevent QuickBooks from opening. In this article, you’ll find various methods to fix this error and work with QuickBooks efficiently again.
Measures to Implement When QuickBooks Won’t Open
It’s definitely a problematic scenario when the software doesn’t open. But now you have some proven fixes to resolve it. Follow them and see your QuickBooks opening again.
1. Exit QBW32.EXE process
The very first thing you can do is to exit the QBW32.EXE file. Follow the below steps to close this process.
- Right-tap on the Windows taskbar and choose ‘Start Task Manager.’
- Now, tap the ‘Processes’ tab and tap the image name header.
- Search and choose ‘QBW32.EXE‘, then tap ‘End Process.’
- This process will allow the QBW32.EXE process to get closed. Afterward, when you tap on the QuickBooks company file, it should open without error.
2. Suppress the QuickBooks Desktop application.
If your company file is corrupted, you need to ensure that the QuickBooks application itself is functioning. It may be possible that the software is attempting to open your prior company. So, it’s essential to isolate if your company file or program is working.
- Start to press and hold the keyboard’s ‘Ctrl’ key.
- Then, double-tap on the QuickBooks Desktop icon.
- Choose a company file and then select ‘Open.’
3. Register QuickBooks again
When QuickBooks won’t open, you need to check if the software is registered. Register it if it is not, and then open the file. To check if the software is registered, follow these steps.
- First, ensure that QuickBooks is open. Then hit the F2 key.
- You’ll notice the product information window appearing.
- Now see the registration status of QB. It’s at the right part of the license number.
- If your software is registered, it will display so, and you are good to go.
If your software is not registered, press ‘OK‘ on the screen and click ‘Help.’ Then choose ‘Activate QuickBooks.’ Now you can quickly complete the activation process by following the instructions on your screen.
4. Restart the desktop
Another simple method to try when QuickBooks doesn’t open is to restart your desktop. It wipes away the current application status. After you restart your desktop, open the QB software. You’ll notice that it opens without any problem.
5. Rename the .ND and .TLG extension.
A file that has a long name may have trouble opening. So, you need to shorten the name by renaming the extension .ND and .TLG.
- Launch the folder where you have saved the QuickBooks company file.
- Right-tap the transaction log file and change its name to (filename) OLD.qbw.TLG. Follow this process for renaming the .ND file as well.
- Now, open the company file and see if the error resolves.
6. Copy your company file to a different location
Sometimes, copying the company file to a different location can also resolve the QuickBooks not opening problem. If the file is in the network drive, copy it to another location like the local drive. If it opens, you should fix your network settings. Here’s the process for it in detail.
- Make a new folder in your computer’s C: drive.
- Launch the folder where you’ve saved the company file.
- Press and hold the Ctrl key, after which you should choose the company file as well as the corresponding .TLG of the file.
- Right-tap it and choose ‘Copy.’
- Create another folder. Right-tap and choose ‘Paste.’
These methods are proven to assist users when they find their QuickBooks not opening. But don’t worry if you cannot implement them yourself or have any doubts about them. You can instantly dial the QuickBooks payroll support to get all your queries resolved.